Mmmm, wood fire pizza. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. This crispy Caprese campfire pizza is one of my absolute favourite camping recipes — it’s crispy, delicious, and super easy to make. It’s perfect for camping and road trips. You’ll never wanna go back to chips and hot dogs after this!
Luckily, you don’t have to be in town to enjoy a delicious wood fire pizza — you can make it on your campfire while you’re out camping or road-tripping! This Caprese campfire pizza is surprisingly easy to whip up and it’s the perfect meal to wrap up a busy day of doing nothing.
Aaaaand, everyone’ll be asking for thirds, so brings lots! I promise you won’t be able to get enough of this pizza. It’s smoky, melty, and crispy. It’s time to leave all that nasty pre-packaged camping food in the dust.Jump to Recipe
Inspiration for the Caprese Campfire Pizza
I’m obsessed with Caprese salad. Obsessed. I love everything about it and often experiment with different ways to enjoy it. Pizza, pasta, sandwiches… I love it all!
Since Caprese salad only has a handful of simple ingredients — basil, mozza, tomatoes, and vinegar/oil — it’s a fantastic camping recipe. But, and I dunno about you, I like hot food when I’m camping. Especially for those chilly evenings sitting around a campfire. And salad doesn’t exactly hit the spot.
But a Caprese pizza? Oh man, get it in m’belly!
Admittedly, the toughest part about pizza is the dough. And if you’re camping, do you really wanna deal with that? Nah, I doubt it. In comes naan bread, to the rescue! I don’t often make pizza dough, even at home, so naan was a natural addition to this Caprese campfire pizza. Plus, you don’t have to worry about cooking the dough all the way through if you use naan. Instead, it crisps up beautifully on the campfire and really pulls together the pizza.
PS: This article contains affiliate links. I may earn a commission (at no cost to you) if you click them; I only recommend products that I think will help you. Read my full disclosure statement here.
Caprese Campfire Pizza
- Cooling Rack
- 1 naan / flat bread
- 5 cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1 scallion diced
- 3-4 basil leaves fresh
- 1 tbsp sun-dried tomato tapenade
- 2-3 bocconcini sliced
- pinch dried oregano
- pinch sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- drizzle balsamic reduction / glaze
- Get a campfire going. Wait until there's a bed of coals with a few small flames.
- Put the naan on the cooling tray.
- Spread the tomato tapenade on the naan.
- Sprinkle the oregano, salt, and pepper on the naan.
- Dice the scallion and basil and sprinkle it on the naan.
- Slice the tomatoes and bocconcini and place on the naan.
- Place the cooling tray with your pizza on the grill of a small campfire. Wait for 10 – 15 minutes or until the bottom of the naan is crispy and the bocconcini have melted.
- Carefully remove the cooling tray from the fire and allow to cool.
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction.